The world is full of shocking stories, and the mainstream media can’t wait to share them. To embellish them. To make them seem like they’re happening next door. And sometimes they are happening next door.
The writers at the Chimney Rock Chronicle don’t live in a bubble. We know there is terrible stuff happening all around us. But we’re offering an alternative set of stories for you to read. Stories that focus on the good things that are happening in the world (and yes, there ARE still good things happening!). We want to introduce you to neighbors you might not have met yet. To artists, to writers, to quilters, and crafters. We want to tell local history, honor fallen soldiers, and share recipes. We want to give you puzzles, poetry, local events, and fishing reports. In other words, we want to give you a break from the regular news outlets.
We can’t change the world, but we can make our small corner brighter. Thank you for supporting our efforts.
- Pat McNallyPat McNally lives in Fulks Run, VA, on 45 acres, with her family, plus 3 horses, 2 donkeys, 1 rabbit, her faithful guardian dog, a potbelly pig named Charlotte, and assorted chickens. She is also a teaching artist at J&B Country Store in Broadway You can contact her at email@example.com
- Tammy CullersTammy Fulk Cullers is a Jill-of-all-trades and hopes to (one day) master one. She is a middle school English teacher by day and a mystery writer by night. She also morphs into a newspaper publisher the last week of every month. You’ll find her playing the piano at Broadway Baptist Church, volunteering at the Plains District Memorial Museum, haunting the Village Library, and occasionally acting on stage with the Off Broadway Players. She loves words, cats, woodstoves, and books. Her future goals include learning to do cryptic crossword puzzles, owning a bookstore, and (eventually) becoming Jane Marple.
Writers & Contributors
- Sarah WitmerLiving on a broiler poultry farm in Broadway with my husband and our three children, I enjoy most home arts (except sewing!) - gardening, canning, cooking, and baking. My grandma grew up on Church Mountain and I enjoy spending time and hunting on the family property there.
- Jean CashJean W. Cash, Professor of English, Emerita James Madison University
- Cathy BrownCathy Brown is Band Director at JFHMS
- Chris RunionChris Runion, a 2020 graduate of EMU, is an on-air personality at WBTX in Broadway, heard weekdays 8:00am to 10:00am on 1470 AM and 102.1 FM. He may be reached via email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Daniel ManleyDaniel Manley is a software engineer and web designer. He enjoys spending time outdoors, hiking, traveling, and 3D printing.
- Eugene BareEugene F. Bare Jr. owns and operates Bare Web Design & Marketing, and is co founder of Broadway Coworking, a shared workspace for individuals and small businesses. He enjoys writing about all the subjects that intrigue him, his work can be seen in various commercials, websites and here in the Chimney Rock Chronicle.
- Mike MericaMike loves to fish every chance he gets and to share what he knows about fishing with others.
- George BowersGeorge Bowers is the Senior Pastor of Antioch Church of the Brethren in Woodstock, VA. He spent 17 years teaching Agricultural Education and enjoys writing poetry while hunting. He can be reached through www.georgebowersministries.com or at email@example.com.
- Helen SmithHelen Wampler Smith is a native of Mayland VA who currently lives with her husband on Main St. in Broadway. She holds a MA Degree in History from the University of Maryland and currently serves as Board Chair and Exhibit Coordinator at Plains District Memorial Museum in Timberville, VA.
- Jack WengerJack Wegner owns and operates WW Motor Cars in Broadway Virginia. He enjoys everything about antique and vintage automobiles.
- John CoffmanJohn is knowledgeable about history, hunting, fishing and other subjects.
- Jeff WattsJeff Watts is a lifelong resident of Rockingham County. He enjoys music, sports, and online business. He lives in Broadway with his wife Kristin, son Nathaniel and daughter Natalie.
- Kelly GilbertKelly Gilbert resides in Centreville with her Kiwi husband and fairy child Iva. When not daydreaming about a perfect garden, you can find her at Chantilly Library masquerading as a youth services librarian.
- Karen Whetzel“Karen is a retired educator with Shenandoah County Public Schools and is originally from Hardy Co WV. She volunteers in the community when possible.”
- Ben ElliottBen Elliott graduated from Broadway High School in 2021 and is currently a student at Blue Ridge Community College. In addition, Ben is currently an assistant coach with the Gobblers Football and Girls Basketball teams. During his time at BHS, Ben also served as a manager for the Football, Basketball and Baseball teams and is an avid sports fan. Currently, Ben lives in Broadway.
- Kim WilkinsWe are Sam and Kim Wilkins and we are retired full time RVers in search of 70 degree weather. Our home is now a 42-foot fifth wheel. We sold our home and most of our belongings in order to see what this great United States has to offer by way of beautiful scenery. Along the way we have met some of the nicest people.
- Pat RitchiePat Turner Ritchie’s families have lived in the Brocks Gap area for about 250 years. She has collected stories and researched the area since she was a teen.
- Randy AndesRandy Andes has always been “Handy” and enjoyed figuring out how things work. He has made sharing the knowledge of how to fix things a keystone of his company culture. Randy's Do it Best Hardware is a family-owned and operated hardware store founded by Randy Andes and his wife Shirley in 2001. They now share leadership with their son-in-law, Christian Herrick.
- Randy CullersGraduate of Bergton Elementary (Class of ’65)
- Retta LilliendahlRetta Lilliendahl is the former assistant director of Northern Virginia Christian Writer’s Fellowship, and the co-author of Regards to Broadway, Local Lore of the Shenandoah, and Stories from the Shenandoah. She resides in Broadway, Virginia with her husband, Al.
- Ronnie FulkBorn and raised in Fulks Run and graduated from Broadway High School in 1975. Worked at Macs Superette from the age of nine where most of my stories were heard. Co-owner of M & R Feed and Hardware in Fulks Run until 1985. In 1985 started working at the United States Postal Service in Harrisonburg Va until 1993. Then assumed the roll of Postmaster of Quicksburg VA until 2013 when I became Postmaster of Fulks Run VA until my retirement in 2014. Finished my full time working career at Central Valley Truss in Fulks Run, retiring from full time employment October 2021. Since 1999, I occasionally fill the pulpit in local churches. Married to Cammie Anderson for 41 years, and we have two adult daughters, Rebecca and Sarah.
- Shelly BareWebsite Editor Shelly works each month to add content to the website for online viewing. She lives in Rockingham County with her family.
- Wes DovePrior to founding Dove Development & Consulting, Wes and Cindy Dove developed strong professional resumes while working in both large corporations and small, family-owned businesses. In addition to extensive work in behavior-based safety throughout North America, Wes held responsibility for safety compliance, human resources, and personnel development in multiple industries. He and his wife, Cindy, are Executive Directors with The John Maxwell Team and serve on that organization’s President’s Advisory Council. They’re Certified Human Behavior Consultants through Personality Insights, and contributing authors for the book Discover Your Team’s Potential – Proven Principles To Help Engage Your Team & Improve Performance, which made the Amazon Best Sellers List in all three categories its listed in just a few weeks ago.
- Ken WestKen West jr. is a former Long Islander now living in Broadway, VA with his wife Joni. Married 30+ years, they have 4 children: Kenny III, Rachel, Joseph and Gloria. Ken has been working in Information Technologies for over 35 years, is an author and loves to read and write. he and his wife Joni are also very active with their church, Cornerstone of Broadway. you can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org